The Microsoft Word is a unique document editor under the Microsoft office suite that has eased our conventional mode of the paper-to-pen form of writing and has presented us a greater window to incorporate by attaching files in any format type, format options of texts, export & import options and a host of other exciting options.
Joyfully, people in the print media happen to have exhibited greater glee than those who do just miniature writings, since they have had to move from scroll writing to those typewriters of the orient and now a digital tool as the computer, then with software like the Microsoft word from the office suite, life has a better meaning, if you can relate.
What about page numberings?
Imagine reading those novels and you have had to keep tabs on where you stopped, yes, I'm aware there is a bookmarker, but for a few people like myself who loved to console themselves with the number of pages read thus far, what do we hold onto without page numberings? Same counts for the digital novels and documents you may access using modern technology. Page numbering is the process of applying a number sequence or letters to the pages of a book or other document. Page numbers, like other numbering schemes such as chapter numbering, allow the citation of a specific page of a numbered document and assist the reader in finding specific parts of the document and determining the size of the entire text.
While using the Word document, especially when the document appears to be a handful, you must add page numbers to your Word document to enable you to keep track, since it is easy to point out if you have lost a page, ease in navigation, better referencing and beautiful output. In this article, I would be sharing with you steps on how to add page numbers in Word 2021, its benefits, and other pointers.
This platform has been presented to me by the good people of The Watchtower - Web Design Agency Dubai, they have made my articles develop wings than I imagined.
Here are the steps to adding page numbers to your Word document
- Once on the word page, select Insert > Page Number, and then choose the location and style that best applies to you.
- Proceed by selecting the First Page; should you intend not to use page number for the first page of your document, select your preferred Different First Page.
- If you intend the number to start with 1 on the second page, go to Page Number > Format Page Numbers, and set Start at 0.
- Once you're done, select Close Header and Footer or press Esc.
- There you have it, all sorted.
A header or footer could include text, document information, or images. Page numbers, on the other hand, are the most common elements in a header or footer. This, therefore, beams light that they can be continuous throughout a document, except for the first page, or they can be reset in each section, depending on the user.
How about some Hand rules to this feature?
- Avoid putting numbers close to the edge of the document, as this could go missing in the case where prints are trimmed or another case that it overshadows the aesthetics intended for your page where necessary.
- You do not need to include the Foreword, Dedication, and the likes to your numberings; they could have Roman figures instead.
- Blank pages do not need to also be numbered, let them be there, blank.
- Ensure numberings are carefully done, such that when you open a book, the pages on the right (known as recto) should have an odd page number (1, 67, 213) while that of the left side (referred to as verso) should always have an even page number (2, 68, 214).
To maximize the use of this application and its unique features, it would be best for Word to be used on a laptop or desktop computer, rather than in a web browser or mobile app.
For more information on Microsoft word and its unique features, Website Development, Digital Marketing, and SEO, you can always trust The Watchtower, the best and award-winning Website Development Company, Dubai