Is Renters Insurance the same as Contents insurance?

Is Renters Insurance the same as Contents insurance?
Whether you rent or own your home, both the structure and its contents should be insured. Homeowners' insurance can protect the home and its contents for those who own a home. If the house is rented, the landlord would insure it, while the renter would be responsible for insuring the contents.

Renter's Insurance vs. Homeowner's Insurance
Both homeowners and renter's insurance require regular payments, which are usually made monthly or as a single lump-sum payment each year, and a policy must be in good standing to pay out on a claim. Unless otherwise specified in the policy, both require the payment of a deductible for claims.

Do you have to have contents insurance when renting?
Contents insurance will also cover any damage to the landlord's property caused by either the tenant or visiting guests.

What do the contents cover include?
When you purchase renters’ insurance, you will have the option of adding out-of-home, accidental damage, and legal protection to your policy to increase your protection.

1. Out-of-the-house protection
Out-of-home insurance protects your belongings against damage or theft while you're away from home. It means that if your phone or handbag is stolen while you're out and about, you'll be able to file a claim.

2. Coverage for accidental damage
Accidental damage insurance protects you against damage caused by unintentional actions such as spilt wine on a sofa or a dropped television set. Because not all policies provide the same level of protection, it's important to know how much you'll be insured for.

3. Legal protection
Renter's legal cover protects you against legal fees if you require the services of a solicitor due to a breach of contract

4. Events covered by insurance
Contents insurance pays for the cost of repairing or replacing your belongings if they are damaged or lost as a result of one of the "insured events" covered by your policy.

When you purchase a policy, you tell the insurer how much it will cost to replace all of your belongings, which is referred to as your "sum insured." If you lose everything, this is the most they'll pay.

Although all insurers cover the same basic set of events, each has its definitions, restrictions, and exclusions. The following events should be included on the list of insured events:

  1. Explosion and fire
  2. A flood (sometimes optional)
  3. Rain and stormwater
  4. Lightning
  5. Glass, ceramics, and other materials breaking by accident
  6. Tsunami and earthquake
  7. Stealing and attempting to steal
  8. malicious damage and vandalism
Is the landlord responsible for contents insurance?
Yes, your landlord is responsible for getting buildings insurance to cover the property and its structure, as well as cover for the fixtures and fittings that remain in the property when you vacate. 

Is carpet included in contents insurance?
Carpets and rugs are both covered by your content’s insurance; however, limits apply to hand-woven or hand-knotted carpets or rugs.

Why do I need contents insurance?
It is a good idea to purchase home contents insurance to protect your belongings from fire, theft, and other risks such as accidental damage. If something happens to destroy or damage your possessions, it can be very expensive to replace them, especially if some of them are essential. 

However, renters’ insurance isn't legally required, like car insurance, but it will give you peace of mind that your belongings will be financially protected if they are stolen or damaged. Floods, fires, and burglaries do occur, and your premiums will appear to be a minor expense when compared to the cost of replacing expensive items such as jewellery, televisions, or computers.

For more information contact The Watchtower Dubai today!

  • Share:

Comments (0)

Write a Comment